1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Had a beautiful little baby girl.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This is easy, since I never really make any new year’s resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Umm…yeah. I did. My niece, Patty did too. And a whole lot of friends.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I don’t think so. Patrick’s grandma died in July, but I actually had never met her.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 9, 2014 – Madeline’s birthday.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Madeline – I’m starting to sense a theme with my answers…
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m not sure. I’m sure there were lots of little failures along the way, but nothing really stands out.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Can I be lame and say it was something for Madeline? I’m not really sure we bought much of anything else of any significance. We bought a lot of cloth diapers, cute clothes, hair bows, and toys.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Patrick’s – I’ve loved him from the very beginning, but seeing the way he is with Madeline just makes me fall even more in love with him. He is a great friend, a wonderful husband, an amazing dad, and just the very best man I could ever ask for.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Oh so many who I am too kind to name here.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Uhh…Madeline. See no. 11.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Madeline. Can I just make that my answer to everything? No, really, watching Madeline grow and change. Seeing her smile for the first time. Hearing her giggle. Hearing her say mama and dada. Honestly, just every little thing that she does brings so much joy.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
American Authors – Best Day of My Life – I know this technically came out in 2013, but it was the song that was playing in the car when we were driving to the hospital to have Madeline.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
–happier or sadder?
happier – we had a baby.
–thinner or fatter?
thinner – I was pregnant this time last year so that was an easy one.
–richer or poorer?
poorer – we had a baby.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I would have found more time to just relax and enjoy the moments. I think I spent too much time stressed about one thing or another when I should have just been relaxing with my husband and our daughter.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We spent Christmas at our house (our 4th Christmas in our house – crazy). Patrick and I enjoyed watching Madeline open her presents (and some of ours). I made our traditional Christmas breakfast of French Toast Casserole and bacon and then my mom came over and had breakfast with us. That afternoon my sister and her family came over for lunch and more presents. Madeline was spoiled to pieces and we all enjoyed seeing Christmas through her eyes.
21. Did you fall in love in 2014?
With my precious daughter, Madeline, and over and over again with Patrick.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don’t think so. I really don’t “hate” anyone.
24. What was the best book you read?
I think the only books I’ve read have had illustrations. I need to get back to reading again, but I am not finding a lot of down time these days.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I’m not sure. I feel like I just listened to a lot of pop music this year. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, and Ed Sheeran.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy, happy baby.
27. What did you want and not get?
A time machine.
27a. What did you not want and not get?
Pre-eclampsia. Thank God!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
lol – We really didn’t see that many movies this year. I liked the Lego Movie.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 10 days way from having Madeline. We didn’t do too much. We went out to breakfast at Le Peep, which has become a tradition. We had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I’m not sure there really is anything. Overall, it was a good year.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
If it fit, I wore it. I was either pregnant or nursing most of the year, so there wasn’t a whole lot of “fashion” happening this year.
32. What kept you sane?
Patrick. Most definitely, Patrick. He always knows how to talk me down off of the ledge.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Ugh. I hate politics. Pass.
35. Who did you miss?
Joshua. Always, Joshua.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014.
I learned that there is light even in the darkest of times. I learned that hope is a beautiful thing.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“You could be my luck
Even if the sky is falling down
I know that we’ll be safe and sound”